Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon Leon is offline

Default Hinges

The only real problem with the Euro style hinges is that your stock/ stile
has to be at least 1.5" wide and at least 1/2" thick. I have probably
installed a thousand of them. You typically do not need any type of
template if you have a drill press and while a vix bit is not necessary,
using one insures that the screws that hold the hinge on to the door remain
flat and not go in at an angle. It is an appearance thing.

"Bill T. Ray" wrote in message
It seems no one has mentioned Blum hinges for a solution. They are
European hinges that require a large hole and screw holes. Their main
advantage is that they are adjustable. I used them on an entertainment
center that has a 3 ft. x 18 in. door with a 1/4 in smoked glass
inserted in the oak rails and stiles. It is heavy. The cabinet also
has four smaller oak doors that have blum hinges, but they are much
lighter. All the doors still function wonderfully 20 years after I
made it. My daughter left the door open one night and then ran into it
in the dark. It took me about 5 min to readjust the hinges. I also
like Blum hinges because they are invisible.

With Blum hinges you do not use the hinge for location. You don't need
Vix bits, which I also love for some applications. I did not use a
template to drill the holes. I did buy a cheap plywood jig, but
decided it was worthless and didn't use it. You must be very careful
with location. A good template is expensive. The Blum Ecodrill Hinge
Jig With Bit & Driver is about $250 to $300. I have almost finished a
half dozen standard size book cases (3 ft. x 7 ft.) with the top
shelves open and the bottom with double doors. It is finished except
for the doors. I'm soon to make new kitchen cabinets. I'm considering
buying the blasted Ecodrill jig for these projects. I still have to
talk to my accountant (wife), but she probably knows me well enough
after 30 years to figure I just won't do it if I can't get the tools I
want. We'll see.

Bill

To reply to my email remove NOSPAM and add help in the subject line.

On Sat, 31 Jan 2009 09:18:40 -0800 (PST), wrote:

Hi All,

Well, another few hours spent trying to drill the holes for a hinge
so the door fits perfectly. Lately, I've installed a few hinges that
are mostly hidden when the door is closed, don't remember what they
are called. My standard is a perfect fit: Even, Flush, no Sideways
displacement. At All! I can see a jig for drilling if I made the
same hinge joint all the time, but the usual projects are one time
pieces.

You put one side on, then... how do you mark/drill the second half
when the door is closed????? (I can drill pretty accurately if
needed) There must be a trick I'm missing. Any suggestions???

Thanks for the help.

Rich.....