Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus13011 Ignoramus13011 is offline

Default Kool mist vapors?

On 2009-02-01, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Sun, 01 Feb 2009 08:37:51 -0600, Ignoramus13011
wrote:

In high-volume production today, in the car industry supply chain and in the
making of many consumer products, the hot topics are dry- and near-dry
machining, where tools cutting at 4,000 sfm in hardened steel are throwing
red-hot chips, making noise like a machine gun, and the workpieces are
coming out cool.

So, Ed, what I do not understand is how does the cutting tool;, under
these conditions, managed to stay cool enough to retain cutting
qualities.

http://picasaweb.google.com/gunneras...22823685400578

1.25" 4130 chromolly, RC 48

Flood with oil, photo is single pass cutting depth, 2.5" HSS corn cob
cutter

So, this is with flooding, just a different coolant substance?

Looks awesome By The Way.

I would have finished the entire job with a single cutter, but one slab
turned out to be unanealled...shrug, First .125 burned off all the
teeth. The other two slabs were RC 28 (annealed)

So I changed to speed and feed for the increased RC, installed Corncob
HSS cutter and finished the job

The trick when cutting dry, is to make the chip carry all the heat away.
Requires RIGID machine, high spindle HP, and proper tool geometry that
hooks the chip out and away and gets rid of it Now!

Gunner

"Not so old as to need virgins to excite him,
nor old enough to have the patience to teach one."

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/