Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus13011 Ignoramus13011 is offline

Default Kool mist vapors?

On 2009-01-31, Ed Huntress wrote:
That's what I'm trying to address. I think Iggy understands the issues, but
an implication was creeping in there that coolant is just better overall.
Actually, water-miscible coolant is a good solution for balancing several
competing demands, but the big ones just don't apply to hobby machining.

Are you comparing coolant with no coolant, or coolant with oil or
other lubricants?

The others that earn their living making chips deserve to do whatever they
think is best for them.

Sure. And the cost equations that weigh all of these factors are the bread
and butter of industrial engineers, as well as some manufacturing engineers.
Commercial shop owners know about them but apply them somewhat unevenly.

In high-volume production today, in the car industry supply chain and in the
making of many consumer products, the hot topics are dry- and near-dry
machining, where tools cutting at 4,000 sfm in hardened steel are throwing
red-hot chips, making noise like a machine gun, and the workpieces are
coming out cool.

So, Ed, what I do not understand is how does the cutting tool;, under
these conditions, managed to stay cool enough to retain cutting
qualities.

Different things happen in different metalcutting speed/power realms. And
the hobby-shop realm has little to gain by applying techniques from the
higher-speed realms. Our relative cutting conditions dictate a whole
different set of solutions.

Some day we can talk about the realm above 10,000 sfm. That's where it
*really* gets interesting.

Let's talk about it and have some fun.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/