Posted to rec.woodworking
John Martin John Martin is offline

Default Hinges

On Jan 31, 12:18*pm, wrote:
Hi All,

* *Well, another few hours spent trying to drill the holes for a hinge
so the door fits perfectly. *Lately, I've installed a few hinges that
are mostly hidden when the door is closed, don't remember what they
are called. * My standard is a perfect fit: *Even, Flush, no Sideways
displacement. *At All! *I can see a jig for drilling if I made the
same hinge joint all the time, but the usual projects are one time
pieces.

You put one side on, then... how do you mark/drill the second half
when the door is closed????? * (I can drill pretty accurately if
needed) *There must be a trick I'm missing. *Any suggestions???

Thanks for the help.

Rich.....

You've seen the dowel centers that look like a top hat with a point
pointing downwards from the brim. Put the center in a drilled hole
until it bottoms out against the brim, push the piece to be marked
against the points and tap it to make the marks.

Well, now think of a similar piece with the point coming out of the
top of the hat. Screw the hinge to one piece, insert a couple of
these centers and then close the hinge on them, so that the points
stick out. Put the door in place and tap it to mark the centers.

Or, you could cut off some flat head screws very short and grind or
turn points on the shanks.

Either is pretty easy to do if you have access to a small metal lathe.

John Martin