Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wild_Bill Wild_Bill is offline

Default Kool mist vapors?

I've seen a couple of HSM High Speed Machining websites (not home shop
metalworker/machinist), and the speeds were up in the range of, or even
higher than high speed production wood routing.

It's amazing to me that heavy duty spindles can be so precisely balanced and
made to such close tolerances to operate in those speed ranges, and that the
machines are responsive enough to move that fast in any position with very
high and repeatable accuracy.

Think what you like, Ed, and it's nice to be optimistic, but most times that
I've assumed that folks have the capability to understand/comprehend or
accept explanations, the results have generally been disappointing.

I believe that there are many more folks than one would generally imagine,
that will respond positively to an explanation just out of courtesy or just
hoping to get off the subject sooner, while silently dismissing everything
that was said/offered.

I've found that for a lot of people, unless the topic was about their
favorite celebrity, sports team etc, they're more likely to be thinking..
uh-oh, knowlege/information, get that **** away from me.

--
WB
metalworking projects

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

"Wild_Bill" wrote in message
Thank you, Ed. I've trimmed off the earlier discussion so that the
excellent summary is easier to see, since I expect that others will also
be interested in saving it.

I hope you find it useful, Bill.

IMO, it's not likely that someone could provide a clearer explanation,
although I suspect that there are still some HSMs that will disagree,
mainly just out of their inability/stubborness to accept clear reasoning.

The only possible exceptions that I can think of would be beginners that
can't properly select, grind or adjust their cutting tools, speeds and
feeds, and therefore assume that poor tool performance must be because
they don't have a coolant system.

That's what I'm trying to address. I think Iggy understands the issues,
but an implication was creeping in there that coolant is just better
overall. Actually, water-miscible coolant is a good solution for balancing
several competing demands, but the big ones just don't apply to hobby
machining.

The others that earn their living making chips deserve to do whatever
they think is best for them.

Sure. And the cost equations that weigh all of these factors are the bread
and butter of industrial engineers, as well as some manufacturing
engineers. Commercial shop owners know about them but apply them somewhat
unevenly.

In high-volume production today, in the car industry supply chain and in
the making of many consumer products, the hot topics are dry- and near-dry
machining, where tools cutting at 4,000 sfm in hardened steel are throwing
red-hot chips, making noise like a machine gun, and the workpieces are
coming out cool.

Different things happen in different metalcutting speed/power realms. And
the hobby-shop realm has little to gain by applying techniques from the
higher-speed realms. Our relative cutting conditions dictate a whole
different set of solutions.

Some day we can talk about the realm above 10,000 sfm. That's where it
*really* gets interesting.

--
Ed Huntress