Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy[_2_] Robatoy[_2_] is offline

Default Hinges

On Jan 31, 1:11*pm, "Leon" wrote:
wrote in message

Hi All,

* Well, another few hours spent trying to drill the holes for a hinge
so the door fits perfectly. *Lately, I've installed a few hinges that
are mostly hidden when the door is closed, don't remember what they
are called. * My standard is a perfect fit: *Even, Flush, no Sideways
displacement. *At All! *I can see a jig for drilling if I made the
same hinge joint all the time, but the usual projects are one time
pieces.

You put one side on, then... how do you mark/drill the second half
when the door is closed????? * (I can drill pretty accurately if
needed) *There must be a trick I'm missing. *Any suggestions???

Thanks for the help.

Rich.....

Depending on the application, double stick tape and or the thicker carpet
tape works pretty well for holding the hinge in the position that you like
and allows you to carefully reopen the door to drill holes. *A properly cut
mortise will also hold the hinge in place. *"Vix" bits help greatly in
making sure that the hole that you drill is "exactly" in the center of the
hole in the hinge.

Hurray for Vix bits. I have cheapo low powered cordless drill with a
#8 Vix in it permanently. I modified the Vix by replacing the drill
bit with a tapered one.
Great for L-brackets, hinges, mending plates. Accept no substitutes.
It would be nice if they made one with a 1/4" hex drive. so I could
pop one in and out of my impact drivers.