Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon Leon is offline

Default Plans/pics/ideas for a building Youth Bed.

I built one for our son before he was born. Maple and walnut and very
similar to the one in the first link with the tent. The side rails were the
same an the one pictured. Typically "kids" wand to be treated like they
were about 5 years older than their actual age. Once out of the crib and
into the "big boys" bed I built a taller side rail that attached to the
existing side rail to keep him from rolling out at night. Once he was 4 or
5 years old we removed the extra rail and he has been using that bed up
through today, he is a senior in college and will graduate this spring.

"Jim2009" wrote in message

"Leon" wrote in message

"Jim2009" wrote in message
Hi all,

I have a 5 years nephew that often spends the weekend. I would like to
build him a bed (twin size). I was thinking about a train bed, but I'm
told he now thinks Thomas the Train is for babies! LOL. Anyways, I
have decided to stay away from theme beds. I would like to build a
basic box bed with some storage (maybe drawers underneath and a
headboard with shelves). It would be nice if the bed was some how fun
for the child, maybe a canopy or something. I can build about anything,
but finding the right look or idea could take me months.

Any good pics or plans out there?

Thanks for reading,
Jim

What ever you build, don't build it for a 5 year old, or a 6 year old, or
a 9 year old. See where I am going with htis? He will be a teenager
before you know it. Build something that you would not mind sleeping in.
Build something that you would want to actually keep.

I agree to a certain point. I don't want to make a kids bed, but a bed
that would start out a little interesting for a child but be able to
convert into a more normal bed later on.

This is something like I thinking.

http://www.sweetretreatkids.com/maxt...bed-BRnat.html

Then as he grows I could remove the tent top.

But I also want storage under it like in this pic.

http://www.kidsfurnituremart.com/kid...lentinabed.cfm

Cheers,
Jim