Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wes[_2_] Wes[_2_] is offline

Default Does somebody take posts off of this newsgroup if they don't like them?

Bruce L. Bergman wrote:

Then you have transformer losses at several points as you boost the
voltage up for long distance transmission, and all the resistive and
corona leakage losses along the transmission lines. And then
transforming the voltage back down in several steps for distribution,
till the customer sees it as 120/240V. And you PAY FOR every bit of
that inefficiency as part of the power bill.

I have a machine at work with a 5Kva transformer to turn 480 into 120v to run an assembly
station. I'm used to seeing tranformers run hot but this thing, running only a small plc
rack and a pc with monitor is doing 68C at this time of the year. It runs a torque gun
also but I'm speaking of idle temperature with the gun not in use.

Input voltage is right, output correct. Ammeter was at home so I didn't get current
values but, visually, there isn't that much load based on what is in the cabinet.

68C seems a bit outside of normal. Comments?

Thanks,

Wes

--
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well
please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the