Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Ice Dams And Water Damage Questions

Red wrote:
On Jan 30, 3:03 pm, "Robert11" wrote:
Hello,

Live in New England; typical Colonial.
Every few years it seems we get water damage due to "ice dams"

a. exactly what is the mechanism that causes these ?

What conditionsmust be present ?
e.g., temp's at night or during the day, etc. ?

b. We have gutters.
Would it help minimize the possibility of having, if we removed them ?

Any thoughts on this would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
B.

They make a product just for this problem. It's called a water & ice
shield. It's a rubberized membrane that is 3' wide and very sticky and
goes on the decking under the shingles along the eaves. It self seals
around the roofing nails and prevents any water that gets under the
shingles from penetrating into the attic and causing damage. A bit
pricey but if you have continuing problems, I'd have it installed the
next time you have repairs done.

Red

Cheap insurance, and SOP on re-roofs these days around here. Some places
even have it required by code on new work. I insisted on it for my new
roof a couple years ago, bottom edges and valleys. Hope it helps- I have
one inside valley on lee side of roof, that always gets a huge snow
cornice and had leakage problems for years for previous owner.
(Stupid-ass roof design on addition, with new roof dying into old roof a
foot above old gutter line, creating a low-pressure dead spot. If I was
gonna stay in the house, I would have spent the extra money to extend
soffit on the addition side, and bring that roof down to the same level
as the old roof, which also would have given me more shade on deck.)

--
aem sends...