Posted to alt.home.repair
Whatever . . Whatever  . . is offline

Default Mixing valve repair question

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
Whatever . . wrote:
My house is about 25 years old - probably the original shower plumbing -
in the five years since I've been in the house, the temperature
adjustment knob for the shower has always had to be turned almost all the
way to hot to get the shower nice and hot. The adjustment knob is a
single one-piece knob - the kind that ya pull out to control the water,
and turn left for hot and right for cold. It's getting to where need to
turn it all the way to hot to get a decent temperature shower - I imagine
that means that the mixing valve is on its way out.

Before I go replacing things that I don't understand, or call a plumber
to look at it, when a mixing valve goes out, does it tend to fail as I've
described, or might it be a problem with the hot water supply line?

Thanks!

What temperature do you measure at your kitchen sink or other spigot with
straight hot water?

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

The temperature at the kitchen sink on full hot is a little bit hotter (but
not much) than the shower turned all the way to hot - I have the gas hot
water heater turned down a bit. Also, the shower is a shower stall - no
tub, no other faucet besides the shower head.

Thanks!