Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Ice Dams And Water Damage Questions

Robert11 wrote:

Hello,

Live in New England; typical Colonial.
Every few years it seems we get water damage due to "ice dams"

a. exactly what is the mechanism that causes these ?

What conditionsmust be present ?
e.g., temp's at night or during the day, etc. ?

b. We have gutters.
Would it help minimize the possibility of having, if we removed them ?

Any thoughts on this would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
B.

Inadequate attic insulation and/or ventilation causes them. The
underside of the roof needs to stay below freezing and if there is not
enough ventilation or insulation the heat from the house intermittently
melts the ice on the roof.