Posted to alt.home.repair
Heathcliff Heathcliff is offline

Default Battle of The Post Hole Diggers

On Jan 29, 1:29*pm, mike wrote:
Powered diggers are excluded.

Which is the better choice for various soil condition in your
experience?

1. *The manual auger that you twist until you get a full load of soil
to dump:

http://www.hooverfence.com/tools/adjust-augers.htm

(Needs room for handle, but can go very deep by using pipe to extend
it)

or

2. *The clamshell-type post hole digger, like this dandy by Fiskars:

http://tinyurl.com/cna8js

(reportedly reaches over 4 feet)

A couple years ago I fenced the backyard which involved digging a
couple dozen or so postholes to about 40 inches deep. My soil is
mainly clay (with maybe 6 inches or so of black dirt on top) but here
and there were rocks or gravel, mostly from earlier construction or
debris. Oh, and roots. I started out with the clamshell and then a
neighbor lent me an auger type digger. I came to greatly prefer the
auger, and used it whenever possible. Less effort and less jarring.
However, it did not deal well with obstacles. When I hit roots or
sizable rocks I had to get out the clamshell, and sometimes a digging
bar too. So for me, it was good to have all three. (That's what you
wanted, right? A rationale for buying three tools?) You're working
that hard, don't stint on tools. -- H