Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wild_Bill Wild_Bill is offline

Default Does somebody take posts off of this newsgroup if they don't like them?

Thanks, DoN. We've discussed these issues before when I asked why my RCM
messages were purged (Oct, maybe and again in Dec without mention).

I've had these same issues with small local ISPs getting news feeds from the
big ones, and with larger ISPs, with Terranews, and now with Forte. I'm
beyond giving a crap why these problems exist.. if I miss something I might
catch it the next time the subject comes up.

Very few things **** me off faster than software-related problems on idiotic
machines, and it's not worth the frustration to me. Or, I'm the idiot, but
it still doesn't matter enough for me to try this, then that, etc, etc.

I wasn't online over last weekend, and I didn't miss much of anything,
certainly nothing metalworking-related (I checked).

When I got back, I just needed to delete a few more messages than I usually
do on a daily basis.

The most reliable daily use service/software I use is Yahoo mail. Free, with
huge bandwidth allotment and not a single problem.
The few times that they've made changes in the past several/maybe 5 years,
it actually got easier to use, and the bandwidth has been increased.
It doesn't need to update for a half hour every day, and it only rarely
displays a slight hiccup which gets corrected with a click of Back or
Refresh.
When I saw that MSoft was trying to buy Yahoo, it about made me sick.

--
WB
metalworking projects

On 2009-01-30, Wild_Bill wrote:
I don't know that there is a specific reason why you don't see posts,
Pete,
but I suspect that there are possibly dozens of reasons why some messages
don't look like they've made it out onto any network.

And for those who post and read using Google, there is a *long*
fuse (often several hours) between a posting being made and it showing
up on the Google newsreader -- even though it fairly quickly makes its
way out to the rest of the world, and often followups are seen before
your own post.

This has resulted in people re-trying multiple times because
they thought that their articles had just vanished.

This hack/spitWindows machine and newsreader (and my previous machines
using
windows) routinely miss picking up posts and replies.

:-)

If my machine is off for a day, I won't see posts from that day unless I
go
check the Goog RCM postings. I know this isn't operating properly, don't
know why, and get a little crazy(ier) trying to figure out software
issues,
especially when retreiving messages from a network should be a very
simple
operation.

Note that each news server not only has its own expire times for
articles, but the news administrator can tune it to be longer for some
newsgroups and shorter for others (most often the most active ones).
Thus, all the discussion about politics probably has the effect of
getting shorter expire times on the news servers which don't pride
themselves on keeping lots of articles. I know that when I ran a news
server I had expire times set between 1 day and 30 days, depending on my
personal interest in the newsgroups in question.

I'm not interested in wasting another second of my time trying to find
out
why this crap doesn't work.

Try a different news server. Or talk to your current one and
explain that rec.crafts.metalworking is of interest to you and could the
please stretch the expire time a bit.

I've seen news articles that stated that about 1M homes are without
electrical power in the past few days, and I would assume that some
networks
have had interruptions, too.

Some -- but most have gasoline or diesel powered backup
generators.

Someone mentioned that they may not see their posts for a long as 30
minutes, as though they meant that they alwas see them, but sometimes
with a
delay.

I've posted messages that just seem to evaporate, never to be seen. Other
times, the Send hiccups and makes two identical posts.

The most reliable method I know of, to see if a message/post makes it to
the
upper levels is to check the Goog RCM postings.

http://groups.google.com/advanced_search?q=&

Get a good news server and things are a lot better.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564