Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus20251 Ignoramus20251 is offline

Default Kool mist vapors?

On 2009-01-30, Pete C. wrote:

Ignoramus20251 wrote:

I personally disagree with bashing of flood coolant as used on
lathes. (and, granted, I do not have much experience).

First, with reasonable speeds, flood coolant is not being sprayed
around by rotating parts that are being turned. Not enough centripetal
force, at speeds that seem reasonable to me. The only way it would get
sprayed around, for me, is if it would find its way on the chuck
itself, as in turning near the chuck.

The solution is to make or install a chuck guard, and be done with it.

The improvements in finish, carbide tool life, etc, that coolant
brings, are rather dramatic. It comes with a few hassles, coolant
cleaning, but they are worth it.

The above assumes that your lathe is already set up for flood coolant,
has a sump, pump, shield in the back, chip tray that drains into the
sump, etc.

I really wish I had a good way to run flood on my Bridgeport, but I
cannot think of any way to do it.

You can run flood coolant on your Bridgeport. You have to find or
fabricate the perimeter shields to contain spray / splash (they attached
to the mill table) and plumb the two ports at the back of the T nut
insertion / removal channels at each end of the table to your coolant
tank.

Well, the question is how to work with the shields on.

If I could find a way to do it, I would be delighted to proceed.
posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/