Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default Gas water heater, tank vs tankless

On Jan 30, 10:55*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
wrote:

Sure they save energy, it's just a question of how much versus the
increased upfront cost, whether you need to upgrade gas, etc. * *If
you don't turn off your water heater when you go on vacation, how much
do you think that amounts to? * A dollar? * *My entire gas bill in
summer, which is the tank water heater plus outside gas grill, *is
maybe $20. *That includes usage for the month, as well as standby
loss. * Other factors to consider are the loss of hot water during
power outages and that people have reported problems with the units
not firing up with small draw situations.

You pay twenty dollars for the month. Some months. You gotta peel out the
overhead.

I live in a duplex converted to a single-family home. Originally I had two
natural gas bills.

By contacting the gas company, I found out that the minimum charge - even if
no gas was used - is $17.00 / month. That probably covers accounting,
preparing and mailing the bill, reading the meter, etc.

Screw this! With a little re-plumbing I connected the gas distribution
system of one side of the duplex to the other and discontinued gas service
for the parasite side. $200/year savings for a couple hours work and $10
worth of fittings.

Anyway, your bill for gas is really much lower than might otherwise be
apparent.

It can be, you have to see what therms you use. My minimum was 9$,
some months in summer with tankless, gas cooking and dryer if I tried
and didnt shower long I got mine to what would be 6-8$ by therm usage,
but its work like using HW only for shaving and missing showers. I
have found my biggest water use is washing dishes. I just wanted to
know how little energy I could use.