Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wild_Bill Wild_Bill is offline

Default Kool mist vapors?

Yep, I was thinking of fully enclosed machines as about the only alternative
for a mist system while I was writing, and picturing the enclosed Haas
mini-mill that someone mentioned the other day.

I would very likely need a fire extinguisher before coolant with my
machines. I generally just dribble a bit of cutting lubricant out of a
plastic dispenser bottle while cutting metals.

I've managed to get some blue chips once in a while, but only maybe a
handful, certainly not wheelbarrows full.

Even if I were set up to do production-like quantities of a part
occasionally, I would very likely just rig up a gravity feed dribble
spout/tube to deliver cutting lube to the cutting tool.

I can easily suspect a couple of HSMs here actually looking for enema kits
at a Goodwill thrift shop.

--
WB
metalworking projects

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

"Wild_Bill" wrote in message
I'd be concerned about being in the vicinity of any airborne liquid
droplets, and I'm a bit surprised that this has been a standard method
for machining. The concept just seems like it would be an obvious health
hazard when things like plumbing and electronics manufcturing are going
to lead-free processes, mainly out of rampant paranoia, IMO.

I haven't used a coolant or a cutting lubricant system on any of my hobby
metalworking machines, but a mist system would probably have to be my
last consideration.
Misting seems like a great idea for a greenhouse though, if people aren't
occupying the same space.

One thing that we hobbyists often forget is that machine tools used in
production today are mostly fully enclosed. In some cases (more in Europe
than here in the US) they're also fully ventilated. And the exhaust from
these systems is NOT ventilated to the outdoors. It generally goes to some
kind of central collection system.

--
Ed Huntress