Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Harold and Susan Vordos Harold and Susan Vordos is offline

Default Kool mist vapors?

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

. ..

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message
snip----
You could fill it with peanut oil, like they do at Volkswagen, but I
don't know how they treat it. But don't take this seriously. They must
have a sophisticated atomizer of some kind, and the Kook-Mist rig
probably won't handle the viscosity. It sure works great for VW,
however.

Boelube works that way, although you must use a Boelube device. Works
great, and is especially good on difficult to machine materials.

I don't know that one, but I haven't followed it for 5 years or so. VW's
machining economics are somewhat different than ours -- coolant disposal
in Europe costs several times more than it does here, for example -- and
they're subject to stricter health standards. But they said they were
getting good tool life and that the economics strongly favored the
peanut-oil mist.

It's not new. I purchased the setup way back---about 1990. It's not
cheap! $90/gallon, and it is used straight from the container. Wouldn't be
the least bit surprised if it was made from peanut oil. Needless to say,
that's not mentioned.

They use an *extremely* lean spray: around 125 ml (roughly 1/2 cup) of oil
per machine, per shift.

I don't recall the consumption now, but it was low as well. I purchased the
stuff when I was building a gasketed filter press for my refining service.
Bought a sheet of unknown stainless, from which I made the retaining washers
for the filter media. I had to trepan the discs from the sheet material,
which was about .150" thick. I used a boring head with a hand ground tool,
but had no luck, breaking the tool several times. I realized I was having
a lubrication problem using sulfur based oil, so I investigated and found
Boelube. Solved the riddle perfectly.

I used a vacuum cleaner (discharged out of doors, with no filter to clog)
to pick up the vapors. I don't like breathing any of that stuff.

Ever run a centerless grinder?

You have no clue about mist until you've been around one.

Harold