Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike Barnes Mike Barnes is offline

Default Loft insulation: things to avoid?

I had a CERT (Carbon Emission Reduction Target scheme) assessment the
other day.

There are three lofts that need extra insulation. One is fully boarded.
One has a few boards lying around on top of the joists to make it easier
to walk around. One is almost (but not quite) impossible to access,
being under a shallow roof over a single-storey extension.

The agent pointedly asked me if it was OK to roll out insulation over
the boards, and to blow insulation into the tight space. When I asked
why I wouldn't want that, he replied vaguely that some people wouldn't
be happy with it, but wouldn't explain why not.

Is there any reason why I shouldn't have roll insulation over the
boards, and blown insulation where roll insulation would be impossible
to put in place?

--
Mike Barnes