Posted to sci.electronics.repair
D O'Heare D O'Heare is offline

Default Word as a publishing program

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message

One thing I wanted to do but never could make work was master
documents and subdocuments, which would have been nice,

I've seen other people try to use it and wind up with a mess. Whether this
was their fault, of Word's fault (I suspect the latter), I don't know.

It's possible to make it work, but it's a royal pain. Fussy, fussy, fussy.

I'd summarize Word by saying it's an extremely powerful program
(you might not realize just how powerful it is until you start playing
with VB and macros) with a very badly-designed user interface that
is quite suitable for documents of any length.

For Word processing, I wouldn't use anything /but/ Word. But I would
never,
ever use it for long documents. It's clumsy and frustrating beyond belief.
VP is simple.

Here, I respectfully agree. Word, at least Word 2000, doesn't handle large
documents well (where large is over a few hundred pages or so). For that,
the only game in town seems to be FrameMaker (I used to work at Nortel,
where document suites often ran to the tens of thousands of pages, with
complex indices, TOCs, internal references, ad nauseam). FrameMaker also
handles graphics properly, does tables well, has styles, etc..

And no, I don't know what this is doing in this newsgroup either, but at
least it's something I can comment on intelligently.

Dave O'H