Posted to rec.woodworking
Jim2009[_2_] Jim2009[_2_] is offline

Default Plans/pics/ideas for a building Youth Bed.

"Ed Edelenbos" wrote in message

"Jim2009" wrote in message
Hi all,

I have a 5 years nephew that often spends the weekend. I would like to
build him a bed (twin size). I was thinking about a train bed, but I'm
told he now thinks Thomas the Train is for babies! LOL. Anyways, I have
decided to stay away from theme beds. I would like to build a basic box
bed with some storage (maybe drawers underneath and a headboard with
shelves). It would be nice if the bed was some how fun for the child,
maybe a canopy or something. I can build about anything, but finding the
right look or idea could take me months.

Any good pics or plans out there?

Thanks for reading,
Jim

I should have taken pics and kept the drawings I made... Just a few
months ago I made a loft bed for my son. He always loved to play on his
sisters bunkbeds. It has a shelf under for his computer/dvd player to go
on, a book shelf, and a good comfortable chair to read in.

Ed

Sounds interesting. I really like some of those loft styles I have seen,
but I'm going to keep this bed closer to the ground, he really moves around
alot in his sleep, and even thought they have rails I feel it's too risky.
Epecially since this would not his home bed, he may not realize where he's
at in the middle of the night and go splat on the floor.

Cheers,
Jim