Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Kool mist vapors?

. ..

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message
snip----
You could fill it with peanut oil, like they do at Volkswagen, but I
don't know how they treat it. But don't take this seriously. They must
have a sophisticated atomizer of some kind, and the Kook-Mist rig
probably won't handle the viscosity. It sure works great for VW, however.

Boelube works that way, although you must use a Boelube device. Works
great, and is especially good on difficult to machine materials.

I don't know that one, but I haven't followed it for 5 years or so. VW's
machining economics are somewhat different than ours -- coolant disposal in
Europe costs several times more than it does here, for example -- and
they're subject to stricter health standards. But they said they were
getting good tool life and that the economics strongly favored the
peanut-oil mist.

They use an *extremely* lean spray: around 125 ml (roughly 1/2 cup) of oil
per machine, per shift.

There were several epidemiological studies, mostly done in Europe, that
showed all kinds of problems resulting from mist coolant. However, I
doubt if they tried the Kool-Mist formulas, which are supposed to be
benign.

I can't imagine any vapor being good for one's lungs---aside from water.
Too much of that can be a bad thing, too.

Same here.

--
Ed Huntress