Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Battle of The Post Hole Diggers

"mike" wrote in message
Powered diggers are excluded.

Which is the better choice for various soil condition in your
experience?

1. The manual auger that you twist until you get a full load of soil
to dump:

http://www.hooverfence.com/tools/adjust-augers.htm

(Needs room for handle, but can go very deep by using pipe to extend
it)

or

2. The clamshell-type post hole digger, like this dandy by Fiskars:

http://tinyurl.com/cna8js

(reportedly reaches over 4 feet)

*I have never used the manual auger. I have used a regular clamshell
posthole digger and like the Fiskar ad says I have had to widen the hole to
go down to 4' or more. I expect that the Fiskar steel model is a little
more expensive, but could be a labor saver due to a narrower hole
circumference. One thing I have found useful is a heavy steel bar to loosen
up the soil as I go down deep.