Posted to alt.home.repair
mike mike is offline

Default Battle of The Post Hole Diggers

On Jan 29, 11:57*am, wrote:
On Thu, 29 Jan 2009 11:29:44 -0800 (PST), mike

wrote:
Powered diggers are excluded.

Which is the better choice for various soil condition in your
experience?

1. *The manual auger that you twist until you get a full load of soil
to dump:

http://www.hooverfence.com/tools/adjust-augers.htm

(Needs room for handle, but can go very deep by using pipe to extend
it)

or

2. *The clamshell-type post hole digger, like this dandy by Fiskars:

http://tinyurl.com/cna8js

(reportedly reaches over 4 feet)

Being a farmer, I've dug lots of post holes. *The augers only work in
soft soil or sand. *If you're digging in clay, or worse yet prone to
hitting rocksm the clamshells are all you can use. *You cant go as
deep, but they will go thru most soils as long as you pound the soil
enough. *You can get smaller rocks out too, becuase you can work at
the side of the hole by holding it at an angle.

LM- Hide quoted text -

Ah yes, I am anticipating hitting more than my fair share of rocks,
sadly. I'll be sure to get a spud bar or digger bar to break some of
them up.