Posted to alt.home.repair
BradMM BradMM is offline

Default Garage Door...again

On Jan 28, 1:29*pm, Joe wrote:
On Jan 28, 9:27*am, dpb wrote:

snip
Four possible problems:
1. *springs need replacing
2. *rollers need replacing
3. *garage/house has shifted due to drought
4. *some combination of the above
5. *Needs adjustment/alignment and lubricating is (probably) all

snip

You haven't done anything to eliminate No. 3 except walk around and
eyeball it for major problems. A pro would do the following: a) check
left and right openings for plumb on front and sides. That's four
readings. b) Check the finished opening for square by measuring the
diagonals. That's two readings. Total time, 5 minutes. If everything
checks out, it's a door problem, if not, address your structural
problems, then deal with the door. Seems pretty simple to do and
eliminates an element of doubt.

Joe

Good stuff, Joe but, with the house already having settled when we
moved in, I still won't know how it might have changed in the past
year when we've dropped to almost 20" below normal rainfall. Still,
good suggestion and I'll take a look at it.