Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Who can install a chimney liner?

On Jan 28, 8:55*pm, Bubba wrote:
On Wed, 28 Jan 2009 04:15:17 -0800 (PST), wrote:
On Jan 27, 7:20*pm, Bubba wrote:
On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 06:28:53 -0800 (PST), wrote:
On Jan 27, 9:08*am, Bubba wrote:
On Mon, 26 Jan 2009 16:36:44 -0800 (PST), wrote:
On Jan 26, 7:20*pm, Bubba wrote:
On Mon, 26 Jan 2009 06:46:09 -0800 (PST), wrote:
On Jan 25, 7:45*pm, Bubba wrote:
On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 18:10:56 -0600, "HeyBub"
wrote:

Bubba wrote:

No trader, your problem is you believe all the **** you read. Again,
for the millionth time, TRY it yourself. You'll find that using hot
water does next to nothing in adding moisture. How hard is it for
you to hook up two saddle valves, one on the hot, the other on the
cold. Do some temp measurements and catch the excess water from the
drain. How freaking hard is that? Your stupid simplicity bores me.
Go read another bedtime story. I guess you really belive the three
little bears story was true too?
Bubba

I take that to mean you admit you were wrong and apologize for the
confusion.

Did I get that right?

Apparently, you have a difficult time with English comprehension too.
So sad for you.
Bubba

You needn't go on and on... One 'I'm sorry' (or words to that effect) was
sufficient. Heck, I don't even think your faux pas even merits an act of
contrition! Glad to have you back amongst the civil.

Are you finding words I didn't type? Yeah, I thought so.
Kind of a delusional fellow, aren't you?
Bubba- Hide quoted text -

Way ahead of you Bubba. * *I am going to run a little experiment to
measure the difference. * Won't require 2 saddle valves either. * I'm
just going to wait for a convenient time, then measure first as is
with hot water running into the humidifier. * * Then I'm going to
either turn off the water heater before a trip or otherwise deplete
the hot water by turning off the heater and then doing laundry,
running dishwasher, etc. * I'll simply measure the flow rate of the
drain water with hot vs cold.

That's the benefit of being smart, you don't have to re-plumb
anything. *Maybe you're right Bubba and Aprilaire and every other
poster and the laws of physics are wrong. * But I'll bet not *

Thank You, That's all I ask. You will be suprised of your findings.
I did it and it was very very very little added moisture. Not even
worth mentioning and making the water heater run that much more. Id
rather run more cold water through it than fuel.

Just for the record, you're using fuel to heat the water either way.
If you use hot water, part of the heating is done by the water
heater. * If you use cold water, all the heat is provided by the
furnace.

On the contrar.........no Im not. When I use cold water I do indeed
rely on the heat from the gas to evaporate the water across the
humidifier pad.
However, when Im using cold water, I use no more heat than if it were
hot water. My thermostat controls my furnace so it only uses the fuel
required to reach my temp setpoint.

And per the laws of physics, once again, if you have COLD water going
into the humidifier, *more of the heat from the furnace will go into
heating that water than if it were hot water entering the humidifier.
There is no free lunch. *The heat has to come from somewhere, either
the water heater or the furnace.

You are so like a typical EE. Love to argue.

Cool and your excuse for arguing is?

Love to split hairs. What
you are talking about is miniscule, not even worth the mention.

Then why did you mention it? *

Why? Because you seem to be having a bit of trouble grasping the
concept of reality.

You're the one that claimed using hot
water from the water heater for the humidifier made a difference by
using more energy. *I only pointed out that the water gets heated one
way or the other anyway, so it doesn't matter. * *Either by the water
heater or by the furnace, so energy wise, it's not worth the mention.

Because it DOES matter you dolt. Its not at all to this extreme but

Gee, can't you make up your mind? First YOU're the one who first
brought this up. Then a couple posts later, you say it's not worth
mentioning. Now, you're back to saying it does matter.

I'll see if you can grasp this concept.
You want to heat two ounces of water in a cup. You zap it with a mini
torch like one used to solder pipes. 30 seconds later, the water is
warm. How much did that cost in fuel? Again, nothing worth mentioning.
Now, take that same cup and put it behind the jet engine of a 747 and
run it for 30 seconds. Care to take a guess at what that just cost
you?
Certain things can be done different ways with different results. Even
an uncertified crazy EE could seem to figure that out.

I will however tell you that running hot water for the humidifier
makes the water heater cycle on. Running my furnace for 10 more
seconds because of that cold water I use isnt going to change my bill.
Yours will.
Would you like to do another experiment on that one?
Bubba

You do the experiment. * Go look at your gas meter and see if it the
little wheels turn for the last 10 seconds the furnace is on. * I'm
betting that they do, which means that your bill is changing. * *But
then, in the strange universe you apparently live in, with it's own
laws of physics, who knows?

Ok, my meter spins for 10 more seconds. What does your gas or electric
water heater do when it comes on? Have you ever seen it run for only
10 seconds then shut off?

You picked the arbitrary time of 10 extra seconds of furnace burner
run time if you use cold water in the humidifier and then said it will
not effect your gas bill. It does. Even an extra 10 seconds of
furnace run time each cycle adds up and will show up in your bill. If
the furnace comes on only once an hour, that equates to 2 hours of
extra burner time a month. So, once again, you live in a very
strange universe where that usage would not show up in your gas bill
or else and more likely, you can't do basic math before making silly
claims.

And then you try to cloud the whole thing by pointing to the fact that
when a water heater comes on, it will stay on for long enough to bring
the tank back up to temperature. So what? That's how they operate.
It says zippo about the efficiency of the water heater compared to the
furnace.

Finally, a gas water heater and a gas furnace are fairly close in
efficiency. That is not the case with your conjurred up example of
heating a cup of water with either a mini-torch or a jet engine. In
that case, of course there would be a huge difference, which I would
expect to be at least a couple orders of magnitude. That is not the
case in comparing a gas water heater and a gas furnace in a home,
which are going to be in the same ballpark.

So, whether using cold water in a humidifier results in the furnace
burner staying on 10 secs longer compared to using hot water is about
right or not, I don't know and neither do you. But the heat put
into the water by the water heater does not disappear. That heat
goes into the humidiifer, into the furnace, into the air, and into the
house. So, at the end of the day, whether you use hot water or cold
in the humidifier is going to have a negligible effect on your energy
usage. I'd say the effect is so small that it's not worth
mentioning. Hmm, that is what YOU said a few posts back too.