Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim2009[_2_] Jim2009[_2_] is offline

Default Leaky Dishwasher

"Tomes" wrote in message
"Tomes" ...
"hr(bob) ...
Joe wrote:
"Tomes"wrote:
Hi Folks,
We have the leaky dishwasher, a Maytag perhaps from the late 70s,
perhaps
more recent as we have only been here for 12 years. It does not happen
all
of the time, only maybe one out of 3 or 4 times we use the unit. What
we
find is on the floor there is a river of water, not a flood, and the
amount
varies. There is no water underneath or behind. It happens not early
in
the cycling, but later on, either in the rinsing or the drying phases.
We
use the granular Cascade detergent.

I replaced the main gasket around the door to no avail. While doing
this I
really cleaned the dirt both under the gasket and where the gasket
meets up
with the frame.

The water must be coming from somewhere else, but where? Is there
another
gasket somewhere on that door? I seek clues or better from this post.
Questions for clarification are welcome.

Thanks folks,
Tomes

Fixed my old Maytag leak by tightening up the latch a bit. Lasted out
the decade.
Joe

I had a bad box of detergent one time that foamed much more than
normal, it caused leaking. A new box of another brand that did not
foam stopped the leak.

Run the dishwasher with the cover/kickplate off and see where the leak
is coming from .. You can also take the front panel of the door off
(the one that you see when the door is closed), and see if it is
getting into the door somehow and then running down the inside of the
door.
================================
Thanks folks for the discussion. I now have 2 things to try out. Run it
with the front panels off to see what I see and when it is empty to run
it with vinegar. It is partially full with dishes right now, so this
will likely happen tomorrow. I will post what happens.
Much appreciated,
Tomes

Update: Took off the kick plate [snow day today...] and the underneath
looks fine - water never went there. Ran it with a quart of vinegar
dumped in and watched it drip from the bottom right of the door. I am
thinking that it's gotta be some other mysterious seal within the door.

I intend to run a few more vinegar cycles when I can, then if it still
leaks the door is coming apart. Any tips for that? Handy diagram source?
Thanks,
Tomes

When it leaks open the door and inspect the water level, it if looks high
then you have a problem with the float shut-off.

Another off-the-wall idea ....inspect the hinges and the latch for
loose/worn mounts.

Keep us posted.

Cheers,
Jim