Posted to alt.home.repair
sid sid is offline

Default Flatting out ductwork ...

On Jan 28, 6:37*pm, "DanG" wrote:
You need to maintain the same number of square inches. *If the
existing is 6" round, the square inch capacity is about 27 square
inches. *Stop at any tin shop, explain your problem, ask them to
make atransitionthat will work.

If you are framing a wall directly under the glulam, add two lally
columns that are swallowed by the wall and go through the glulam.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"sid" wrote in message

Trying to finish a basement, and where we intend to put a
partition
wall with a door is right where a contractor left a 6" duct
below the
floor joists. *He did this to go under a piece of microlam that
is
used of support in that part of the house.

I know better than to cut into the microlam, but can I purchase
a some
ductworkthat will flatten out in the area where it will pass
under
the microlam and hug the ceiling ?
If I could recover 2" I could install a standard interior door
without
modifications.

Thanks- Hide quoted text -

RicodJour, The pic that you posted is almost exactly what I need. I
had imagined something like a transition offset to one side, but with
an elbow pointed upward. I will try to get a pic of the problem
posted.
The extra elbow(s) that I was talking about was the extra elbows
needed to run the duct back up in and through the floor joists. The
contactor after elbowing the duct under the microlam just suspended
the duct under the floor joists for the rest of the run. There is
room to run the duct through the joists and recover some ceiling space
in that area.