Posted to alt.home.repair
Tomes[_2_] Tomes[_2_] is offline

Default Painting Question Re Edges: Tape Or One Of Those "Edgers" ?

"Tomes" ...
"RicodJour" ...
h wrote:
"Phisherman" wrote

That's what I do. I use a 1/2" brush along the edges. A little
time-consuming, but excellent results every time.

Agreed. I just have to remember not to drink any coffee that day so my
hands
stay rock steady.

If you hand shakes too much you can use your left arm to steady your
right hand (or the opposite for southpaws). Prop your non-brush elbow
against the wall and loosely hold your brush arm a few inches down
from your wrist as you paint the ceiling cut line.

The other trick is to put the bulk of the paint on in one direction
and keep it a short distance from the cut line, then to reverse the
brush stroke to push the paint in the opposite direction up to the cut
line.

Yep, I do a similar thing as I never use tape and always just paint the
straight line and people are amazed. It is really not that hard once one
gets the hang of it with a bit of practice. My 'trick' is to get enough
paint of my very good brush [crappy brushes paint crappily] tip and drag
it along, then when there is not enough paint left on it I veer it away
without stopping. The next stroke starts slightly away from the line, but
within the old stroke's paint and veers back up to the line to resume the
perfect line. I can get 1-2 feet along at a time perfectly. If I do err,
I just wipe it away right away [damp rag] and take the mulligan.
Tomes

One more thing - paint the line before you do the rolling, not the other way
around. It looks infinitely better. Do not let it dry out before you get
to do the rolling so it blends together.
Tomes