Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John John is offline

Default O ring groove design

john wrote:

engineman wrote:

I'm trying to improve the performance of the water pump in my steam
powered cycle.
It consists opf a 7/16" aluminum piston witrh 2 O rings at the end
operating in a bronze cylinder.
I'm using a clearence of .001" between the piston and cylinder.
The dimension of the rings is 7/16 od X 5/16 id X 1/16 thick.
I've been having leakage problems and have tried O ring grooves that
had a square cross section a d half round.
I'm looking for info on the best shape and tolerance for the grooves.
I can't seem to find anything in Machinery's handbook.
Engineman

http://engineman69.home.comcast.net/...atewheels.html

Quad rings might be a better solution. They seal better and last longer
in most applications.

John

http://www.marcorubber.com/quad_rings.htm