Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joseph Gwinn Joseph Gwinn is offline

Default Craftsman Grinder/Sander model 351.22632 acquired

In article ,
Joseph Gwinn wrote:

In November or December 2008 I bought a used Craftsman Grinder/Sander
model 351.22632 from a local used tool store for $60 or so. I just got
around to fixing it up.

It is a disk (8" diameter) plus belt (1" wide by 42" long) sander made
of cast iron and steel, with plastic used only for the belt guards, and
it weighs a ton. The whole thing was made in Taiwan in 1988.

The motor is 1/3 HP, made by Yung Li Hsing Electric Works, looks like a
GE motor, and has a real industrial-motor nameplate. No "developed HP"
nonsense here.

I just noticed that the Sears machine nameplate (well, sticker) says
"5/8 HP max developed ", so we now can compute the ratio: (5/8)/(1/3)=
1:875 to one. So, in round numbers, divide Sears max developed HP by
two to get to real HP.

At least for a real motor. Now, the motor label is either missing or
information-free.

I didn't realize that this max-developed-HP had started in 1988, but
there you have it.

Joe Gwinn