Posted to alt.home.repair
TWayne TWayne is offline

Default Garage Door...again

Ok, I had a company come out and look at our
garage door
problem. We moved into this house almost three
years ago
and I installed the opener on one of two wooden
doors for
my wife to use. It worked fine for 2 1/2 years
but
started getting cock-eyed as it went up and down
and
would stop and change directions. It's gotten
progressively worse. I've posted this recently
so this
is a repeat.

Four possible problems:
1. springs need replacing
2. rollers need replacing
3. garage/house has shifted due to drought
4. some combination of the above

I got an estimate that seemed reasonable for
replacing
both the springs and the rollers. I had checked
at
Lowe's and even though they had the right color
springs,
the guy who came out said the diameter DID need
to be the
same and Lowe's were smaller. So, it seemed
that even if
I wanted to do it myself, I'd still have to
order
springs.

What shocked me was he also gave an estimate of
replacing
the door completely and that cost was about the
same as
replacing rollers and springs on the current
door.
Problem is, the new door wouldn't match the old
so we'd
have to replace both when one doesn't need it
because I
open and close it manually. 90 day warranty on
repairs,
three year on replacement.

I'm leaning toward just repairing the existing
door and
possibly still doing it myself. BTW, my current
door has
the parallel springs so they are easy and
relatively safe
to exchange. The new door that the service guy
proposed
has torsion springs so I'm befuddled as to how
that can
be the same cost as replacing parts on my
existing door.

Brad

Start with the springs.
Have the rollers ever been cleaned/lubricated? If
they havent' had a flat side worn onto them, just
see that they get cleaned/lubed and are free to
slide around in their mounts. Replace if
necessary but I'll bet it's not.