Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics) Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics) is offline

Default Hammerite on Metal

In article ,
Civet wrote:

I've used two coats of Hammerite Smooth on steel car wheels, without
any undercoat, as instructed on the tin. Okay for a year or so, then
the rust comes through.

For that application, Hammerite is the wrong paint. It is fine on toolboxes
or fixed metal objects, but not something that flexes. Hammerite sets to a
hard and brittle film.

For car wheels, prepare and paint as for car bodywork. Either that, or
chassis paint, but I'm not personally a fan of black wheels :-)

(Yes I know you can get other colours of chassis paint, I use POR15 myself)