Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Roger is offline

Default Petrol or Diesel car?

The message
from "Doctor Drivel" contains these words:

I have one. It is doing just under 60mpg. And I do mixed motorway and
city.
About 75/25%. When in city only, it does around 65mpg. I does not hang
about, it is brisk. 100mpg top end which I have never reached - the MGB did
only 85mph. The new Prius is even better. It is better looking, longer,
wider, faster acceleration an greater economy...and still the brilliant
unrivalled drive. We shall see what the Chevy Volt does.

I think the time has come to repeat part of what I first posted on 1st
December last which is a quote from a FOI request.

"The Government Car and Despatch Agency (GCDA), an executive Agency of
the Department for Transport, operates a fleet 104 Toyota Prius. The
Agency does monitor the fuel consumption of its vehicles. Its latest
report shows that the average fuel consumption of the Toyota Prius fleet
was 42.69 mpg. The worst example is an average of 32.45 mpg and the best
example is an average of 51.49 mpg."

Not exactly brilliant performance is it.

The MGB wasn't brilliant either when it was introduced in 1962 and was
even more sluggish by the time it finally died in 1980 but even the
slowest was good for a top speed of 98mph. Dribbles 85 mph max is way
out but paradoxically probably a good deal more accurate than most of
the nonsense he spouts.

I wonder if his MGB had a DB numberplate. :-)

--
Roger Chapman