Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel[_2_] Doctor Drivel[_2_] is offline

Default Petrol or Diesel car?

"Andy Champ" wrote in message
. uk...
Doctor Drivel wrote:

You have already been told. The Prius is not complex at all. There is
less components in it - not even an in-line gearbox. It is just that your
mind can't figure it out.

Just 'cos it's sun and planet doesn't make it not a gearbox.

Read the explanation I posted.

No mechanical clutch *is* a worthwhile feature, especially to owners of
dual-mass flywheels. But I'm not convinced that two electric motors and a
darnn great battery pack count as simpler than a clutch.

Read the explanation I posted. The Prius has:

1) small massive power/weight electric motor,
2) an IC engine
3) a power splitter which is a simple, small planetary gear cluster.
4) Battery pack

An diesel IC engine has:

1) noisy, heavy and large engine
2) large power sapping in-line transmission
3) Clutch
4) Dual-mass flywheel
5) electric motor to spin the engine
6) battery pack
7) turbo

No contest, the Prius wins hands down. The Prius tops the JD Power survey
for the most reliable car. They are super reliable and super quite and emits
far, far less emissions. Fantastic!!!