Posted to rec.woodworking
BrianSiano BrianSiano is offline

Default Legacy Ornamental Mill and 80/20 Systems

On Jan 23, 12:58*pm, Morris Dovey wrote:
BrianSiano wrote:
The idea of building a similar system's also intriguing (hey, isn't
designing jigs part o the fun of woodworking?). But I'm amazed that,
despite lengthy Web searches on people who've built their own mills,
that almost nobody's mentioned the 80/20 "industrial erector set"
system (http://www.8020.net/)--especially since its components are
extremely similar to those of the Legacy Mill's.

There's at least one good reason. One of the desirable characteristics
for such a device is rigidity - and the designs I've seen that use the
80/20 extrusions have all had the common characteristic of "floppyness".

My next door neighbor has a CNC plasma cutter built of the stuff and,
although fun to watch, it's a wobbly disaster.

Thanks-- that goes right to one of my concerns, and it pretty much
takes care of the rest of the question. The 80/20 system certainly
looks good, and it could probably be use to make some nice jigs and
stuff. But if it's not as rigid as it should be, then it'd be worth it
to buy or rent time on a Legacy mill.