Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bruce[_4_] Bruce[_4_] is offline

Default Petrol or Diesel car?

Adrian C wrote:

Bruce wrote:
"Bob Mannix" wrote:
I hired a Skoda Octavia diesel estate - it was completely flawless and the
fact that it was a diesel was, to all intents and purposes, undetectable. A
very good car if you are after vfm, I would say.

I own a Skoda Octavia diesel estate, and it certainly doesn't resemble
your description. It is noisy and harsh, with plenty of vibration.

My four year old Octavia Mk1 diesel estate is a bit noisy, but nowhere
near the racket of a London taxi - which round here is the first
auditory experience that most folks have of a diesel car.

London taxis have been fitted with various engines in recent years. The
VM engine is probably the worst for noise.

Ye soon get to tune the din out at cruising speed and it disapears under
road noise - the latter I find more repetative and tiring. In mine
(automatic) the gearbox doesn't change gear that much over most
acceleration (except kickdown) so there is less of a racket from shifting.

However, The Octavia Mk2 (which I am rather keen to trade up to) is quieter.

I can assure you, it isn't much quieter. It's usefully bigger and has a
better ride, but the diesel is still noisy. If I am on call I sometimes
have to go out in the early hours. Out of courtesy to my neighbours,
during my on call periods I park the car away from our houses so I don't
wake anyone up when starting.

My Merc is quieter, but it doesn't get used for the work I get called
out to do. It still sounds like a truck when cold.