Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel[_2_] Doctor Drivel[_2_] is offline

Default Petrol or Diesel car?

"Bob Mannix" wrote in message
"Tony Bryer" wrote in message
On 27 Jan 2009 07:34:50 GMT Adrian wrote :
It has the highest depreciation of any model in the executive class.

If you compare to list, sure. If you compare to the price you can buy
a new one for, no. £20k for a brand spanker is doable.

Yes, what matters is what you get for your car in (say) three years, v.
what you actually paid. Quite a few of the allegedly high depreciators
would, as you say, have been bought with a good discount, whilst AIUI
Audis and BMWs rarely come out of the showroom without a good few
options.
When I looked aircon was an 'optional' extra on BMW Minis; I suspect that
the resale value of one without it is well below book price.

Best car for depreciation I ever had was my Skoda Felicia, bought new
1995
at list £6400 and sold to another Skoda dealer two and a half years later
for £4000 cash. When I traded my first Honda Jazz for an identical one
after three years the cost to change was just £4100.

I hired a Skoda Octavia diesel estate - it was completely flawless and the
fact that it was a diesel was, to all intents and purposes, undetectable.
A very good car if you are after vfm, I would say.

It is an Audi underneath.