Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected][_2_] norminn@earthlink.net[_2_] is offline

Default Leaky Dishwasher

Tomes wrote:
Hi Folks,
We have the leaky dishwasher, a Maytag perhaps from the late 70s,
perhaps more recent as we have only been here for 12 years. It does not
happen all of the time, only maybe one out of 3 or 4 times we use the
unit. What we find is on the floor there is a river of water, not a
flood, and the amount varies. There is no water underneath or behind.
It happens not early in the cycling, but later on, either in the rinsing
or the drying phases. We use the granular Cascade detergent.

I replaced the main gasket around the door to no avail. While doing
this I really cleaned the dirt both under the gasket and where the
gasket meets up with the frame.

The water must be coming from somewhere else, but where? Is there
another gasket somewhere on that door? I seek clues or better from this
post. Questions for clarification are welcome.

Thanks folks,
Tomes

We had a similar problem. The problem was that detergent builds up,
eventually causes too much foam, which keeps water from draining so
it runs out. Solution: pour in one quart of white vinegar (no dishes)
and run through a full cycle. I switched to liquid detergent, but don't
use the d.w. often enough to repeat any problems. The fix was
recommended by pro repairman, and I thought he was putting me on, but it
worked.