Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default how quickly can a furnace raise house temp 20F?

"Zootal" wrote in message
More blower speed will lower this temp range. Less blower speed will
raise this temp range.
Bubba

Why would more blower speed lower this temp range? It seems to me that the
faster the air, the cooler the air blowing across elements/heat exchanger
will be, and the more heat is getting transferred in.

Heat a pan on the stove. Quickly smack it with your hand. Now hold you
hand for 2 seconds. Now hold your hand on it for 10 seconds. Did the
fastest speed give you the most heat?

Same with the air blowing across the heat exchanger. There is only a given
amount of heat available and the longer the residence time, the hotter it
will get and it can them move the heat to another location. Cool air then
replaces the heated air. Check this out with your car heater as it warms up
on a cold day. Run the blower speed up and down and see how the temperature
changes.

You may have other issues with your furnace too. You mentioned a sagging
PVC pipe, kinks in the condensate drain, other parts were replaced. First,
it sounds like a hack did the original install. Some of these little errors
may be causing the heat exchanger to cycle off and on too frequently or it
is not reaching temperature.

While it is nice that the tech can resurrect motors from the dead, I think
perhaps, you need a new service company.