Posted to alt.home.repair
TWayne TWayne is offline

Default Generators and electronics

"DS" wrote in message
We live in the country and the power goes out
quite
often. So I bought a 5000 watt generator,
properly
connected, which powers the furnace, the water
pump, the
freezer anbd refrigerator and several light
circuits.
I'm told it is not wise to operator sensitivre
electronics such as big TV sets and computers
on
generator power. In fact I'm pretty sure thats
hiow I
blew a DVD/VHS unit last year. And the digital
read out
on the refrigerator has lost part of its
alphanumerics. My question...what is and is not
safe to run?.
Will a surge protector ahead of the device in
question
prevent a problem?.
I actually ran a small TV without a problem but
not for
very long. Would appreciate a reply from some
electrical
guru. ds

The electricity from cheap generators isn't
very stable.
For sensitive electronics, I would buffer it
through
some type of UPS device

Unless you've found some real old piece of crap,
generators put out power to the same voltgae/freq
specs the grid uses. Other things about them can
bother electronic equipment, but not those
fluctuations unless the genset if being
overloaded.