Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Re-commissioning an old laser printer - toner tips ?

On 1/26/2009 10:06 PM Andy Cuffe spake thus:

On Mon, 26 Jan 2009 10:15:35 -0000, "N_Cook"
wrote:

Not been used for more than 10, years and been stored in a UK garage.
Although SMPS , powered up slowly via variac and the printer works fine. But
damp must have got to the toner. It clings to the opc giving a dusty
background rather than white. Removable opc and toner cartridge. Other than
removing the bung from the toner hopper area and placing in a sealed bag
with activated silica gel for a few weeks which I've done, then clean opc
and adjascent roller , any other tips?

Replacing the toner cartridge is probably the only reliable solution.
Toner cartridges don't last forever [...]

I know this, yet my printer (HP LaserJet 2100M sitting next to me here)
refuses to believe it. Bought it in 1999 (don't ask me how much I paid
for it; it's embarassing!). It's cranked out thousands of pages; not as
many as an office would put through it, but a lot nonetheless. It's
still on the original toner cartridge.

[...] even if they've never been opened.

The replacement cartridge, also 10 years old, is still sitting in its
carton, unopened.

mostly pears.
Made With Pears: Pretty good chance that pears will be detectable in
the product.
Contains Pears: One pear seed per multiple tons of product.

(with apologies to Dorothy L. Sayers)