Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Sjouke Burry[_2_] Sjouke Burry[_2_] is offline

Default Mid 90's GE TV Problem

DewDude wrote:
Hi,

I know if you had the model and chasis number this would probably be
more useful, but it's difficult to get that right now, but I thought
I'd ask if anyone would have any idea on if this could be fixed.

I've got a 1996 36" TV that had the tuner die years ago, but since
that time I've switched to satellite and use the A/V inputs
exclusively.

But I've noticed that the "Unusable Signal" circuit that kicks on when
the signal is...usable apparently, is becoming a lot more sensitive. I
was used to it changing when the AV selector would switch sources or
if a device was off...but I've noticed it's flicking on when
commercials come on...or if things go to a bright scene.

Is this a known problem for any of the units? Is there a way to just
bypass that or do I have to live with it.

You might try to disable the tuner part,
and/or the rf-to-video detector.
those might be picking up spurious signals.