Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
CW[_2_] CW[_2_] is offline

Default Live cone centers for woodturning lathe, Whoops!

OK, now that I know what it is you are after. Grizzly, Penn State, Delta
and Jet all sell cup centers. There are many more. Woodcraft has them but
only in a multipoint kit. The Sorby Stebcenter that Rockler sells is
effectively the same thing. A lot of people use the standard 60 degree
center and put a small washer on it to limit the depth.

"spaco" wrote in message
Phooey! I meant "Live Cup Center" or "Live Safety Center" (for the
tailstock) as they are sometimes called.

Pete Stanaitis
-------------------

spaco wrote:
Why are live cone centers so hard to find? I am new to woodturning and
I hold my breath every time I tighten the tailstock against the bowl
blank with a standard 60° live center for fear that I'll split the
thing. So far that hasn't happened, luckily.
I finally got one on E-Bay last week, but you seldom see them even
listed. I don't see them at Rockler or Woodcraft.

Is this something the REAL wooodturners don't even use? What do YOU do?

Pete Stanaitis