Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default (OT)somewhat-Be careful out there.

basilisk wrote:
I fell off a ladder yesterday, too much stuff in the way, ladder too near
vertical, in too big a hurry.

I was putting up siding and got over balanced, fortunately I escaped with
one scraped up leg and a sore shoulder(the bad one of course).

I'm too old to be making these kind of mistakes.

Think, plan, take your time, there is only one of you.

basilisk

Glad you're ok and thanks for the warning.

Sounds like a good time to go over a little ladder safety.
The proper tilt angle of an extension ladder is a 1:4 ratio...
or the feet are one foot out for every 4 feet of height.

I learned that a good way to judge this angle is as follows...
-Stand straight up with ladder's feet at your toes.
-Stick your arms straight out in front of you at a right angle to your
body.
-You should be able to hold the ladder with your hands.
*If you have to bend your elbows, the ladder is too steep and you
could fall backwards.
*If the ladder is out of reach of your hands, it's not steep enough
and its feet could slip out.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)