Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default projected surpluses was Less than 2 days

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Mon, 26 Jan 2009 20:33:43 -0500, the infamous "Ed Huntress"
scrawled the following:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
. ..
snip

I'm so sorry, Ed. cuing violins So, what causes that? Progressives?
(avoiding the L word here)

Conservatives, in the western and southern states. Look at the list: Of
the
10 states getting the most federal pork, 7 of them were red states in last
year's election.

They're the ones who bitch about spending and then make sure they load
their
own states with pork. This is the basic profile of US politics, Larry, and
it's one of my gripes against conservative politicians. They're
hypocrites,
through and through. And don't try to tell me that they're all the same.
They're not.

I no longer think the Reps are any better than the Dems and I almost
despise both equally, but not quite yet. (Old habits...)

In general, the deep South and the mountain West make out the best. In
past
years, California has (IIRC) made out a lot better. And Alaska, of
course.

Isn't it because they have to -pay- people to -live- in the Fort
Stinkin' Frozen Norths of ND and AK?

It's because they've put most of their federal legislative effort into
sucking up everyone else's tax money. That's what they do best. Alaska
is
giant tax tapeworm.

They sure as hell learned how to use oil (or oil barons) as their
ally.

Their "ally"? You mean, their tool of extortion? On top of all the federal
bennies that Alaska gets, they lard the oil being pumped in their state
with
big taxes and, recently, "windfall" taxes. It pays every man, woman, and
rugrat in the state several thousand dollars per year, in the form of nice
fat checks. They actually just hand it out to all of those independent,
free-market, small-government conservatives. It appears that they have
very
flexible ethical ideas.

And whose pocket do you think that's coming out of? Bwaaaahhaaaaa..

All our pockets, except in NJ where it's only coming out of Ed's
pocket. Did I get that right?

Nope. I drive a Ford Focus, remember? g

However, I'm sure many people in the Lower 48 would be glad to know that
some of the money they pay for gasoline is going into the pockets of Sarah
Palin's new son-in-law, and his soon-to-be-born tyke. Too bad they won't
return the favor.

D.C. is a statelike entity, oui?

Yeah. Like American Samoa, only with big buildings. g

And much older stone buildings, huh?

Where do you think all those federal buildings are located, hmmm? How do
you
think they manage an average per-capita federal tax bill of $31,250, when
the next highest "entity" is $15,714? Do you think it's all the poor
people
in D.C. who are paying those $31,250 tax bills?

Bwahahahaha! He make joke.

Think about it. Now, what is
D.C. doing on that list of states, eh? It's a federal district fer
chrissakes! Of course it's getting a lot of federal money. They build
federal buildings and run services and build infrastructure for them in
federal districts. Jeez. g

I thought maybe they were counting the exhorbitant gov't salaries.
shrug

Sure. Some of it is. And lobbyists' salaries. But the fact is that most of
D.C.'s expenses that would be state expenses in a state, are federal
expenses. Thus, their high rate of return on federal taxes.

Minnesota and Delaware also pay more taxes per capita
than you and NY do; right up there with CT.

If you want to start picking apart the individual states, rather than
the
general trends by region, you have a much larger task ahead of you. DE
is
home to many of America's corportate HQ's because they designed their
laws
of incorporation specifically to be attractive. It skews their true GDP
and,
as you'll notice, their per-capita tax revenues. You could argue about
that
one for an hour -- but with someone else, please. g

MN is odd. They seem to get everything wrong on taxes. I don't know why.

They sure have fun with governance, don't they?

Next year they're going to run The Dog-Faced Boy against the Bearded Lady.

What, no more wrestlers? Is that fad over?

A pro wrestler, a stand-up comic...I figure they'll recruit from a sideshow
next.

--
Ed Huntress