Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default only slightly OT- how common were these promotional specialty slide rules

On 2009-01-26, Bill Noble wrote:
I've seen plenty of paper/cardboard calculators for all sorts of things,
but
this weekend I ran across a "real" slide rule put out by a hydraulics
company with a couple of scales added for calculating hydraulic/pneumatic
stuff

it's pictured here on ebay ---

I see that you've caved in to eBays "paypal only" approach.

actually, that wasn't intentional - if anyone asks if they can pay by
another (legit) method, I always say "fine, no problem" - I hadn't noticed
anything, but not that you point it out, I'll look - it think what happened
is that they just took away the other options. --- I just checked, and that
is in fact what they did - there is no option for "money order" or "check"
or "cash", only paypal, propay (whatever that is) and merchant credit cards.

O.K. I think "ProPay" is an alternative service like PayPal, so
they can claim that they aren't shutting out *all* other ways other than
their own PayPal.

[ ... ]

This was probably aimed at people who did purchasing of the
hydraulic cylinders and supplies, to free them from having to ask the
engineers to do all the calculations when they have questions. These
would have been people who knew how to use a sliderule, but who did not
carry the various formulae and constants around in their heads, so the
GAL and DIA scales helped them come up with quick answers.

[ ... ]

Have you seen any of these things before? You may be right, but all I'd
seen before was the paper/cardboard items.

I've owned and used cheap printed on wood slide rules, but not
custom ones like this -- just the cardboard ones -- some of which are
nomograms/nomographs, and others real (if limited functionality) slide
rules.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564