Posted to uk.d-i-y
Hugo Nebula Hugo Nebula is offline

Default Petrol or Diesel car?

On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 18:57:59 -0000, a certain chimpanzee, "Mr Sandman"
randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

I always went for diesel in the past, but now, with it being so much more
expensive than petrol, am i better going with petrol instead? I.e. instead
of a ford focus 1.8 diesel, buy a 1.4 petrol?

IME diesels give about 40% better MPG than petrol, and with diesel
currently about 12p/litre more than petrol, it's still less on fuel
costs. However, there are other costs to consider such as the initial
purchase price and any additional servicing. The higher your annual
mileage the less these are a factor.
--
Hugo Nebula
just how far from the pack have you strayed"?