Posted to uk.d-i-y
GMM GMM is offline

Default HELP PLEASE - What Loft Insulation

On 26 Jan, 10:47, Cicero wrote:
On Mon, 26 Jan 2009 02:26:32 -0800, Rick wrote:
Hi,

Can any of the subscribers recommend me a good loft insulation *for a
semi-detached two story family house please.

At the moment I have some old rather scraggy fibreglass material I
need to replace.

Been looking at this, any advice would be much appreciated ???

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/29949/...sulation/Loft-...

Thanks.

Gary.

I have no personal experience with the item you've referenced but it
appears that some people are not entirely happy with it. I've just topped
up with this:

http://www.wickes.co.uk/ROLL-INSULAT...et/invt/161206

It's quick, easy and clean. If cutting is needed use a pair of sharp
scissors and seal the ends with duck tape. You can lay it over existing
insulation or use multiple layers. Check all the warnings about wiring.

Both Wickes and B&Q are currently offering 2 rolls for the price of 1 so
it's a good price.

Cic.

Using Ubuntu Linux
Windows shown the door

This spaceblanket stuff always looks attractive to me, particularly as
it leads to a lot less itchy stuff floating about the loft! What
niggles slightly in the back of my mind is all the advice I've seen
(mostly on this group) about ventilation in loft spaces - Doesn't the
plastic wrap essentially make a barrier to vapour dispersal compared
with bog-standard fibreglass? Or doesn't it matter really? I guess
the same would apply to the silver bubble-wrap that the OP
suggested....