Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble Stuart Noble is offline

Default Renovating a kitchen

Rod wrote:
Mike wrote:
On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 23:29:39 +0000, robert
wrote:

In message , The
Medway Handyman writes
Fit the base units first, then the wall units.
Thanks - what is the reason for this - I assumed that it would be
easier to fit the wall units first as then I would not be reaching
over the base units.

It's much easier to first fit the wall unit brackets and trial fit the
wall units. Then remove them to avoid hitting your head when fitting
and working round the base units. Then tile the walls and under the
edges of the wall units having previously marked their outlines with a
wide maker pen.
The final stage is hanging on the wall units which you know will fit
and align pretty close as they have already been trail fitted.

On my own, I find it easier to fit the base units first. Then lift the
wall cabinet onto the base. And then it is a relatively short lift to
get the cabinet into it position. And fairly easy to put something
underneath to chock it in place while fixing.

A batten to rest the top units on makes life a lot easier. Then you can
fix the first one and clamp the others from the front as you go. That
way everything is guaranteed level at the front, even if gaps develop at
the back through wavy walls. Best (and I would say essential) to level
and fix the base, and worktop, before doing anything with the wall units