Posted to alt.home.repair
KLS KLS is offline

Default how quickly can a furnace raise house temp 20F?

On Mon, 26 Jan 2009 06:21:32 -0500, wrote:

On Jan 25, 7:53*pm, dpb wrote:
KLS wrote:
Just had the blower motor replaced on our York furnace this morning.
Outside temps were 20F today with some wind. *The new motor was
assigned the task of warming the house from 45F to 65F. *This took it
7 hours, which seems like a long time.

How many degrees per hour is a usual rate of temperature rise for gas
forced-air furnace?

* 2(+/-) F/hr unless _WAY_ oversized would be pretty typical....you're
about right sounds like.

The length of time the temp was low makes a difference. The thermal
mass of the structure and contents make a diference that becomes
greater if it has all chilled to match the lower temps. That stuff
takes a long time to heat back up.

Yes, the house was chilled for probably 12 hours (the motor died
overnight, and the outdoor temps at that point were single digits).
House was built in 1930, 2 floors, has numerous windows, full
basement, full attic, not well insulated, but has storm doors and
windows all around. Furnace is a York 2-stage Diamond Deluxe 95,
installed in 2003. We live by Lake Ontario. But this new motor
doesn't seem to be heating up as quickly as the previous one did; the
old one used to be able to get the house from 60F to 65F in an hour,
and we're still not up to temperature 1.5 hours later this morning, so
I'll be calling the HVAC company to check this.